Whether you’re dealing with decayed or damaged teeth as a result of facial trauma or poor oral hygiene, our team at North York Dental can recommend a tried-and-true solution that is designed to restore your smile – porcelain dental crowns. Made from highly durable materials, these unique restorations safeguard your vulnerable teeth from future reinfection or damage while strengthening the natural structures. By applying a customized dental crown, you can keep your regular tooth and avoid the possibility of extraction and additional tooth replacement. Call us today to schedule an appointment to find out if you qualify.
What is a Porcelain Dental Crown?
Known as a prosthetic device, dental crowns, also known as caps, are used in dentistry to restore the function and aesthetics of a tooth that has lost a significant amount of structure. Damaged teeth can tarnish even the most beautiful smile, leaving patients feeling self-conscious. The purpose of a porcelain crown is to provide the ability to enhance the appearance of one’s aesthetics. While dentures are devices that can be removed for daily care, dental crowns are permanently cemented onto teeth or implants.
There are several reasons our doctors may present a crown as the right restorative option for you:
- To protect a weak tooth or teeth.
- To restore a previously-broken or damaged tooth.
- To support/cover a tooth with a large filling, when most of the tooth is gone.
- To make cosmetic modifications.
What is Involved in Preparing for a Porcelain Dental Crown?
Excellent oral hygiene is required before the placement of your dental crown. If you have not been to our office for your regular hygiene visit, we will schedule you in for a visit before the procedure. Our doctors will advise what oral hygiene steps are required prior to commencing treatment.
Upon the completion of the oral hygiene portion of your treatment, a machine will mill your new dental crown, and our doctors will add colour and other characteristics to make the tooth look as natural as possible.
Once the best fit is ensured, our doctors will cement your new crown in place, and your tooth will be fully restored to fit and function. Our doctors will make any necessary adjustments to ensure it not only fits well but that you’re happy with the aesthetics.
How Should I Care for My Temporary Dental Crown?
Because temporary dental crowns are just an interim fix until your permanent crown is ready, we suggest that a few precautions be taken:
- Avoid chewy and sticky foods which can pull off or dislodge the crown.
- Avoid food and beverages that are known to stain (for example, blueberries, red wine, coffee, grape juice, etc.) as temporary crowns are more porous and stain easily.
- Avoid chewing on the side of your mouth that has the temporary crown.
- Avoid chewing hard foods – doing so could break or dislodge the crown.
- When flossing, slide out rather than lifting out. Even though you normally lift the floss out, you run the risk of pulling off the temporary crown.
- In the case that the temporary crown does come off, please call the clinic so we can book an appointment to re-cement it back on.
- The success of a dental crown is highly predicated on the health of your surrounding teeth; therefore, it’s critical that you keep your remaining natural teeth healthy and strong!
Post crown care consists of good oral hygiene to maintain its longevity. Keep your gums and teeth overall healthy to ensure your crown lasts you for a lifetime.
If you have any questions about a dental crown or think you may be a good candidate for one, contact us at 416-494-7878 to book an appointment today!